More Perfect Union Action
Position Title: Media Producer
Reports to: Senior Editorial Manager
Location: 100% Remote
Applications will be accepted for this position through August 25, 2023.
More Perfect Union is seeking a high energy, creative thought leader to join our team! If you love following breaking news, digging deeper into the issues, and thrive in a rapid response social media environment, we want to hear from you! We’re hiring a Media Producer to pitch, conceptualize, research, and produce news-driven video content — all with a mission to change policy in our country.
More Perfect Union Action is a political advocacy and journalism organization with a mission to build power for the working class. We cover politics, policy, labor, business, and economics news through a class lens, and we pair our video-first reporting with activism to help working people win policy fights. Launched in February 2021, More Perfect Union’s coverage has garnered hundreds of millions of video views and millions of followers on social media.
The Media Producer role requires a high-level of self-sufficiency, strong collaboration skills, the ability to write clearly and meet deadlines, and a desire to engage in key policy debates. In addition to producing video content, the Media Producer will be responsible for breaking news, additional follow-up reporting, and drafting social media content with updates on the stories they are covering. The Media Producer will work closely with other members of the video/creative team as well as policy, political, and communication team members.
- Producing: Developing video concepts, identifying interviewees, interviewing subjects, writing scripts, reviewing and providing feedback to editors on videos.
- Pitching: On a weekly basis, develop and pitch a variety of story and coverage ideas that add value to our news and/or advocacy programs.
- Reporting: Doing basic reporting (seeking public comment, conducting interviews, submitting FOIAs, etc.) to advance stories we're working on.
- Research: Closely monitor the news, watch hearings, press conferences, etc., looking for newsworthy information or notable moments relevant to our core issues.
- Writing: Writing scripts, articles, tweets, and other social media content to accompany news or clips that you found.
- Participate in meetings and collaborate with other video team members, to draft scripts, interview subjects to produce videos, and push creative boundaries.
- Knowledge of current social platforms and the best practices surrounding these platforms.
- Proactively identify inefficiencies and challenges and work collaboratively with other team members to put forth and implement solutions.
- Meeting publishing schedules.
- Complete assignments from supervisor and colleagues and meet deadlines.
- Operate in a nimble environment.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- At least 5 years of experience in journalism or advocacy
- Producing, reporting, or research experience required
- Experience producing and scripting YouTube content strongly desired
- The ability to manage multiple projects, write clearly, and meet hard deadlines
- A passion for economic justice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A high level of organization and self-motivation
At More Perfect Union we strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, post-secondary educational status, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage members of historically underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
More Perfect Union is offering a competitive salary and an exceptional benefits package including: health, dental and vision benefits, flexible savings accounts, life insurance, short term/long term disability, $500 monthly home office stipend, 401k match, paid federal holidays, and PTO.